The MakeUp Bar Feature
GET TO KNOW...
Alex Mendez, owner of
The MakeUp Bar
01. What did you want to be when you were a kid?
I wanted to own a store with LOTS of lipstick.
02. What was your first job?
Babysitting for 3 kids all day everyday monday thru Friday. I quickly convinced my Mom and the owners of Creme de la Creme to hire me even though I was only 15!
03. What do you like to do in your free time?
Now that I started flying again, I love to travel. Spending time with Family and Friends is the best.
04. What's the best advice you've ever received?
When people show you who they are believe them!!
05. How long have you been in business and how did you get started?
This is my 27 Summer in the Business. I got started as a receptionist to a makeup artist, to skin care expert, then to an Aesthetician. Each time I learned more about the business. At 19 I opened my own business inside Classic Salon. Alexandra's Classic Faces. (original huh?) From there I opened a little retail Boutique also inside Classic Salon. Then I bought Classic Salon. While owning that my Husband Joe and I opened The MakeUp Bar over 11 years ago.
06. Why do you choose to operate your business in Oklahoma as opposed to somewhere else?
What's not to love about Oklahoma?? I grew up here and to see this town turn into a viable and hip city has been magical. We offer so much and have maintained, I think that small town feel. I'm proud to be an Oklahoman business Woman!!
07. Why do you think its important to keep it local?
You have to practice what you preach. I want to do my part to keep most of what I do, whether it's shopping, eating, or playing, in the local market. I really want others to do the same with us as well. I can't expect it if I don't practice it. Besides that who doesn't love to walk into a place that knows everybody's name?
08. What locally owned business (other than your own) could you not live without?
I LOVE Blue Seven, Gretta Sloane,